Imagine a gift that lasts not for a day, or a season, or a year...but forever. Since the establishment of the Endowment Fund in 1993, members and friends of Village Church have given such gifts. The principal of the Endowment Fund is never spent; thus, investment returns magnify the impact of your gift. While annual stewardship is an opportunity to support our church’s ministry here and now, a gift to the Endowment Fund helps to secure the mission of our church into the future.
Why have an Endowment Fund?
Annual giving and endowment giving are different parts of the same system of roots and branches. Annual stewardship supports our branches of ministry, mission and facilities. Generous giving to our Endowment Fund sends our roots down deep and pushes more branches outward in the future.
A substantial Endowment Fund will assure the church’s sustainability and excellence every year for decades to come. It is indeed a gift for the future, just as what we enjoy today was given to us by those who came before us.
Mission Statement: "To advance God's Kingdom through the encouragement and perpetual management of special lifetime and testamentary gifts entrusted to the Village Presbyterian Church."
How are the funds used?
Our Endowment Fund has disbursed approximately $300,000 over the past decade in support of ministries outside typical budgeted activities. Some examples are:
- Narthex and Kingdom (children's area) renovation, cabinetry for the multi-purpose room, staff retreat (2018)
- New mobile camera, folding system, computer, masonry repairs (2017)
Repair transept walls & Great Window in sanctuary (2013/14)
New outside signage & lighting (2010/11)
Purchase of church bus (2007)
Scholarships for Christian Education and Mission activities
Why Should I Give?
When we give, we create additional meaning for our lives. When we give, we express our deepest convictions. We are caretakers of the gifts God has given us. As caretakers, we have responsibility to pass on our gifts to those who will follow. The joy of knowing your gifts will bring others close to God’s presence here on earth is yours for the asking.
"Every man shall give as he is able, according to the blessing of the LORD your God
which He has given you." Deuteronomy 16: 17
Who manages the Endowment Fund?
The Endowment Fund Council, a group elected by the congregation, manages the investment and disbursement of the funds according to the Policies and Procedures established by the Session.
Tax laws play an important role in a person’s charitable giving. We urge you to discuss the tax advantages of a planned gift with your tax or legal advisor. Significant income tax and estate tax savings may be realized from a contribution to the Village Church Endowment Fund.
How Do I Give?
There are a number of ways to participate:
- Bequests – You may specify a dollar amount or a percentage of your assets in your will. This is a wonderful opportunity to extend (or take up) a spiritual discipline of tithing by tithing your estate. Another option is to consider endowing your current annual pledge with a gift of 20 times your annual pledge. Assuming a give percent annual rate of return, a gift of 20 times your annual pledge will provide annual income to the Endowment Fund equal to your current pledge amount.
- Commemorative Gifts – You may give a gift of cash (checks), appreciated securities, a life insurance policy, an annuity, or property to the Endowment Fund to commemorate an important event in your life, honor a loved one, or simply as an expression of gratitude and thanksgiving.
- Planned Gifts – These are gifts that provide income for you or a beneficiary during your lifetimes and benefit the church thereafter, or provide yearly income to the church during your lifetime and, afterward, benefit your family or friends.
- Charitable Gift Annuities
- Charitable Remainder Trusts
- Gifts of property
Questions? Members of the Endowment Fund Council would be happy to answer your questions about any of the above three ways to participate in our Endowment program or put you in contact with someone who can. Please contact Gordon Scott, Chair, Endowment Fund Council, at 312-859-8885 or TVPCEndowment@gmail.com
Join the Village Church Legacy Society
When you name the Village Church in your will or estate plan (or if you have already done so), we would very much like to thank you for your generosity and enroll you in the Village Church Legacy Society. We do NOT wish to know the amount of your gift—only that you have made one. We appreciate your support immensely; the recognition of your gift will encourage others in their giving. Members of the Legacy Society are recognized with a leaf on the Growing Tree on the Legacy Wall, and honored annually through an event planned especially for them. Inform us of your gift by contacting Endowment Fund Chair Gordon Scott at 312-859-8885 or TVPCEndowment@gmail.com.
Thank you for considering a charitable gift to the Village Church Endowment Fund!!
For your Information Please use this legal language when naming the Village Church in your will or estate plan: “I, [name], of [city, state, ZIP], give, devise and bequeath to the Village Presbyterian Church Endowment Fund [write in an amount, a percentage of your estate or a description of property, etc.] for its unrestricted use and purpose.” The tax ID number (EIN) of the Village Presbyterian Church is 36-2276994.
"Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:17